10 Summer Art Activities
Easy summer art activities are part of my plans this year so that I can find a balance between being the fun mom and not burning out in the first week. The goal is for me to work a little less, spark the kids creativity, and enjoy summer.
I always use activities like this to inspire independent play. And this summer I will be using this art guide along with a baking and a STEM guide for our summer activities. 3 planned activities a week should be enough to keep me from being overwhelmed, allow us to embrace the relaxed nature of summer, and still keep the kids busy.
Fun summer ART activities for all kids
These art activities are age appropriate for preschool through elementary school. That's a huge win for us moms because you will only need to plan one activity for all your kids. Success!
Summer Art Activities for Kids
Squirt Gun Painting
@sandboxacademy Squirt gun painting is always a hit!!! Such a fun summer activity for kids. #summeractivitiesforkids #summerideasforkids #squirtgunpainting #knoxvillemom #momsofschoolagekids ♬ original sound - Emily | normal mom content
Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- Combine a 2:1 ratio of water and cornstarch.
- We chose to use a muffin tin to hold the chalks so that we could have multiple colors but I only had one dish to wash when all was said and done
- Add food coloring or liquid water colors to each section of the muffin tin
- Use a spoon or butter knife to mix the chalk
- Grab paint brushes head outside to start painting
- The chalk will look faint when you first paint with it but as it dries the colors become much more vibrant.
Note: Use your own discretion when painting with sidewalk chalk. I have a textured patio that we use the sidewalk chalk on. We have allowed the chalk to dry and stay there for days without any issues, however I cannot guarantee the same results.
- Cut basic shapes (squares, rectangles, triangles, half circles, and cylinders) out of a brown paper bag and sandpaper
- Invite your preschooler to design and glue a castle usign the pieces you laid out
- Glue to a piece of blue construction paper
- Use beach stickers and crayons to add a little flair
Paper Plate Ice Cream Cone
- Paint a paper plate the color of your favorite ice cream
- Cut a triangle out of brown construction paper
- Use a marker to create the lines on a cone
- Decorate the ice cream scoop with construction paper sprinkles and a pom pom cherry.
- Glue the cone to the bottom of the ice cream scoop.
- In a shallow dish combine dish soap and washable paint. You want a 2:1 ratio of dish soap to paint.
- Place a straw in the mixture and blow bubbles. (careful to blow and not suck so that you don't drink dish soap)
- Place a piece of paper on top of the bowl to capture the bubble prints
- Fill a shallow dish with shaving cream
- Sprinkle washable paint on the shaving cream
- Use a knife to gently mix the paint into the shaving cream
- Place a piece of paper on top of the shaving cream. Apply pressure so that the coloring lifts
- Pull off the paper and use a ruler to wipe off the excess shaving cream
- Admire your prints
- Find a hanful of nature items with interestinng shapes
- Tape a piece of colored construction paper to a surface in the sun
- Place the nature items on the paper in an ionteresting pattern
- Allow the paper and items to sit for 1-2 days
- Take the nature items off of the paper and admire the prints that the sun created
- Fill an ice cube tray 1/2 way with paint
- Add water to the paint and stir with a popsicle stick until well combined
- Cover with foil
- Add a popsicle stick to each ice cube throug the foil n
- Once frozen use the ice paints to create on butcher paper
Painted Pasta Necklaces
This is kind of a 2 day project.
- Paint pasta noodles. (We used acrylic paint because it is more vibrant, but tempra will work too)
- Once the noodles have dried, tread them on a piece of string to create fun jewlery.
Paper Plate Sun
- Cut a paper plate in half
- Around the edges cut trianges to make the rays of the sun
- Paint the sun using yellows, oranges, and reds
- Glue the sun to a piece of blue contruction paper
Notes: This is a project that Reagan came up with and I am so dang proud and happy to share it with you all. It is such a fun moment when my kids jump in and take over.