In the teaching world, we talk about number values using the term one to one correspondence. This means that you understand that each number holds a specific value. For example, the symbol 5 represents five objects. It’s important to focus on this concept because it focuses on the concrete aspect of math versus the abstract concepts.
Ten frame activities like this one will help your Lil’ recognize that each number symbol represents a value.
Plus, there are snacks involved which always works as an incentive.
Lil’ Explorers Focus Skills
- Count from 0-10
- Understand values of numbers 0-10
Lil’ Creators Focus Skills
- Count from 0-20 (11-15)
- Understand values of numbers 0-20 (11-15)
- Print the Zoo Ten Frames Template
- Place the corresponding number of animal crackers on all 3 ten frames so that your Lil’ can see the value of each number they are working on.
*I encourage you to do all three next to each other so your Lil’ can see that, for the number zero, we’re not forgetting it by not putting anything on that paper but rather zero holds no value.
- Print the Zoo Ten Frames Template.
- Cut the number pieces.
- Place one number piece next to the ten frames paper.
- Fill in the ten frames with animal crackers based on the corresponding number pieces you have chosen.
- Take all the cookies off and repeat for all five numbers.
Don’t be afraid to take a break or stop an activity if it’s taking too long for your Lil’ to complete it and they’re losing interest. Remember, our number one goal here is to make sure that our Lil’s love learning and if we force an activity, they will lose that love. There is no learning activities so great and so important that it is worth your child losing an interest in learning.
Pro Parent Package
Want access to all my lessons plus other perks? Upgrade to the Pro Parent Package!
Get Notified When I Post
It's simple. I post 2-3 lessons every day and you do them with your Lil'. Take a couple seconds to fill out this form and I'll keep you updated about new lessons!