We are going to be doing a lot of mask and hat making this month with our fairytale theme. To start, we will be making a unicorn mask from a paper plate. Paper plates are one of my favorite art supplies because they are incredibly versatile and they’re ridiculously cheap.
Your preschooler well love engaging their creative side and creating a unicorn mask that they can wear and use for dramatic play.
Lil’ Explorers Focus Skills
- Use a variety of visual art materials (paint, markers, crayons, clay) with minimal adult assistance
- Use visual arts to represent people, places, and things, using spatial awareness to coordinate the features of the representation
- Explore the use of materials in a variety of different ways
Fine Motor Skills
- Coordinating the use of arms, hands, and fingers together to manipulate objects with increasing accuracy
- Engage in activities that require hand-eye coordination
Print out the Paper Plate Unicorn Mask Template.
Color and cut out the template.
Cut out the center of a paper plate.
Glue the horn to the top of the paper plate and glue the ears to either side.
Use a hole punch to create holes along the top of the plate.
Thread pipe cleaners through the holes and twirl them around your fingers to give them texture.
I cut the pipe cleaners in half to keep them from being too long. We also added some flower stickers along the top to give it a little extra touch of fun, and to add in a little extra fine motor practice.