You are going to grow tired of me saying this, but hands-on learning and kinesthetic activities are vital to child development. This is true even for subject matters that do not seem to have kinesthetic qualities (i.e. reading). Our Sensory Letter and Sight Word Art activity will allow your Lil’ to work on identifying and writing their letters and sight words. You can use a variety of different sensory materials for this activity. We used beans and bird seed to stick with the garden theme this month.
Remember Lil’ Creators have sight words and more letters than Lil’ Explorers.
Lil’ Explorers grab a copy of the FREE templates HERE!
Lil’ Creators grab a copy of the FREE templates HERE!
Lil’ Explorers Focus Skills
- Can identify all capital letters and some sounds (C,M,A,T)
- Can form some capital letters (C,M,A,T)
Fine Motor Skills
- Engage in activities that require hand-eye coordination
Lil’ Creators Focus Skills
- Can identify all capital letters and most sounds (C,M,A,T,S,R)
- Recognize sight words (I, my, you, is, are, the, of, and, can, like)
- Can form all capital letters and some lower case letters (C,M,A,T,S,R)
Fine Motor Skills
- Engage in activities that require hand-eye coordination with increasing accuracy
This activity will be done multiple times, each time you will do different letters and/or sight words.
June 7 – Letter C
June 16 – Letter M
June 22 – Letter A
June 29 – Letter T
June 7 – Letters C & M
June 15 – Letters A & T, Sight Word – the
June 22 – Letters R & S, Sight Word – my
Have your child trace over the capital letter C with his finger
Either you or your child will put glue on the capital letter C and cover the glue with beans
Your child will trace over the letter with their finger again (this time you are tracing the beans).
Repeat these steps for each letter (or sight word for my Lil’ Creators).
Talk to your child about what they are doing while they are working to make it a meaningful activity rather than mindlessly gluing beans.
Let us know what you think and be sure to share with us your Lil’s at work!