You may have read this title and thought, ‘Why on earth does my preschooler need coding skills?” There are SO MANY benefits to teaching coding to children, but I’ll only say a few.
1. Coding is its own superpower! Hilary Mason, Chief Scientist at Bitly, said the following:
“I believe technology should give us superpowers. Everyone should have the opportunity to learn to think, analyze, and create with technology.”
2. Coding is quickly becoming a new literacy. Salman Khan, the founder of Khan Academy, said the following:
“To prepare humanity for the next 100 years, we need more of our children to learn computer programming skills, regardless of their future profession. Along with reading and writing, the ability to program is going to define what an educated person is.”
3. It’s arguably the best way to build logic and critical thinking skills. Nicholas Negroponte, Founder and Chairman Emeritus of MIT’s Media Lab said the following:
“Programming allows you to think about thinking. And while debugging, you learn to learn.”
Lil’ Creators Focus Skills
- Computer Literacy Skills
- Engage in problem solving activities
Speaking and Listening
- Follow three-step directions
*You are only cutting out pages 2&3
Full disclosure, I am not a programmer. That being said, my husband has a degree in mechanical engineering and has a lot of experience with coding. He has approved this lesson for coding, so I feel comfortable showing it to you guys. Coding is basically telling the computer to follow a series of commands, which is the essence of this lesson.
Pro Parent Package
Want to get the most out of my program? Upgrade to the Pro Parent Package!