Lil’ Explorers Focus Skills
- Describe and compare objects using general measurements such as heavy, light, big, small, short, tall, long, always, never
- Construct models to represent their imagination and objects in the world
- Build using a variety of materials in both conventional and unconventional ways
- Use tools with appropriate safety and purpose
- Engage in problem solving activities
- Pose “what” and “why” questions about their surroundings
- Make predictions and perform experiments
Hang the hanger from a doorknob.
Experiment with your Lil’:
- Ask, “which animal do you think is heavier, the pig or the cow?”
- Place the pig in one cup and the cow in the other cup
- Note that the cup that hangs lower is heavier.
Continue this process by comparing various animals.
Some of our animals were not noticeably different in weight, so I changed my questioning to, “Can you make the right side heavier than the left,” and she would add 3 or 4 animals to the right side.
Also, allow your preschooler some free play with the DIY scale so that they can manipulate it. This is great problem solving!
Pro Parent Bundles
Love my lessons? Become a Pro member today and get access to bonus content!